COVID-19 Statement: During this crisis, our foremost concern is for our employees. Office employees are working remotely, and the limited staff onsite are taking appropriate measures to maintain a healthy working environment. We continue to be available to take orders and answer questions by phone or email, and we can ship orders, although there might be a small delay.
C4 ‘gig’ Basso
stackable run-out bass stool made of lightweight aluminum
complements the ‘concert’ and ‘timpani’ basso
Facts about ultra-light aluminum
* C4 ‘gig’ basso (4 leg) uses 21″ floor space;
* C5 ‘gig’ molto (5 leg) uses 23″ floor space for maximum stability;
* aluminum stool weighs 50-60% less than a steel stool;
* both ‘gig’ molto stools are constructed of 1″ aluminum tubing welded, black powder-coating;
* stackability is a bonus for orchestra events on the road;
* weight of aluminum frame 3.3 lbs. (1.5 kg.) (without seat in place);
* each foot-support is 3 lbs. steel only (1.3 kg.);
* C4 ‘gig’ basso (4 leg) with cutaway seat and optional back support weighs 11.7 lbs. (5.2 kg);
* C5 ‘gig’ molto with cutaway seat and optional back support weighs 13.2 lbs. (6 kg);
* solid and threaded (1″ increments) aluminum leg extensions provide noise-free, rustproof, height adjustment. More information about Aluminum
Aluminum-frame vs Steel-frame
* The most obvious difference is the weight – 50% lighter than
* Aluminum does not rust. There is no sticking, no fussing, no maintenance with the leg extensions. The leg extensions are manually adjusted (this is far more effective than spring-type adjustments which stick and breakdown and involve constant maintenance to sand and smooth the rust).
* Before a steel-frame stool is even shipped, it is rusting inside. In normal usage, a musician’s chair or stool is subjected to many changes in temperature (taking the stools on the road, indoors/outdoors, storage/onstage). This increases the rate of rusting and the gradual breakdown of the chair. Longevity of the product is affected.
* With all the advantages of aluminum, it is also more costly – up to three times more costly than steel. Our prices, though higher in cost than wood or steel stools, do not reflect the high cost of the materials we use. We do not cut costs on any of our products, but consistently look for the best and refine and improve no matter the cost.
One frame, adjustable leg extensions
* The leg extensions are solid aluminum, no rust, no sticking, no fuss.
* The leg extensions have threaded holes at 1″ increments, easily tightened, no wobble, maximum stability and comfort.
* View chart for height ranges with leg extensions at bottom of this page. Custom height ranges available.
* For those who sit very low, the leg extensions can be removed and the rubber tips applied to the stool itself.
* Your choice of back bars to suit your body type, your instrument, and your way of playing:
* straight “tall” places the back cushion higher;
* straight “regular” fits most people;
* back bar with 2″ bend brings the back cushion partway into seat for sitting forward;
* back bar with 4″ bend for those who like to sit well forward, the back support meets you;
* back supports must be removed before stacking.
More facts about back support
* Back upright steel bar is 2.35″ semi-hardened steel to allow some flexibility without bending.
* Available in straight (tall or regular), 2″ bend or 4″ bend.
* The back upright bar and attached cushion support is separate from the frame (knob under the seat). This means that the individual musician can choose the back support with degree of back bend for maximum benefit to their personal style of sitting for performance.
Many of the design features in our bass seating products result from requests from orchestra bass sections and individual bass players. Speak with Sal Porretta of Concert Design if you wish some modification for your needs. Padding, too hard, too soft; back support wider or higher, larger or smaller; another idea for a seat shape, all are easy for Concert Design.
All components, including the high quality padding and fabric work together to provide optimum comfort and much needed support for the bassist.
* All components, including the high quality padding and fabric of the Concert Design ‘gig’ stools work together to provide optimum comfort and much-needed support for the musician. Call us for trial samples.
13" Round, 15" Round, 17" Round, Single Cutaway, Double Cutaway, SF Double Cutaway, Oval